Just think of today’s post as the “Oprah’s Favorite Things Show”, and if I had unlimited resources I would gift them all your way! A random list of what I currently utilize on a daily basis…
Ginger’s Favorite Things!
1. Flipboard News App. I check the top stories when I wake up in the morning. It’s become my go-to resource for everything that I missed while I was asleep. I try to stay up-to-date on current events. I may not be able to pronounce the name of every world leader, but at least Flipboard gives me a huge scope of stories to choose from.
2. Podcasts! If I’m not listening to music, I’m usually listening to a podcast. While I cook, exercise, drive… you name it. I use the Stitcher Radio App and frequently listen to: Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me, This American Life, Radiolab, Freakonomics Radio, The NPR: Hourly News Summary, among others. Now you know… I’m a public radio fan(atic?).
3. Reading out-loud as a family. Hubs and I have done this off and on since marrying. We take turns reading a book aloud to each other at night before we shut out the light. We just finished “To Kill A Mockingbird” and I was so sad to see it end. (I am especially sad to know that this is the end of my husband speaking to me in a southern accent. He makes a really good Atticus!) Looking forward to starting the next book soon: The follow-up to Lois Lowry’s “The Giver,” entitled “Son.”
4. My Tervis Tumbler with lid and straw. Sure, Willy the Wildcat from my Alma Mater is cool, but even if this was a blank cup I would still love it. It keeps my tables free from water rings, my water cold, and this accident-prone gal from spilling. I use it every day that it’s not in the dishwasher. For real.
5. My house moccasins. Even though I live in Arizona, the winter nights still get chilly. We try not to turn the heater on unless it’s going to get below 35 at night… thus the tile floor is FREEZING. I don’t walk in my house without them. I tried to find the exact design on the Daniel Green website, but no luck. They are super soft and comfy – so I’m sure all of their products will fit the bill.
6. The Valley of Vision. My dear friend Becca gave me this copy three years ago and I pull it out just about every morning. There are over 300 Puritan prayers inside. The humility of the beautiful words always stills my heart before I open the Word. I highly recommend this book.
7. A Mat Kearney Pandora Station. I’ve added in some Mumford & Sons for variety, but this is the go-to station in our house. We might be addicted. :)
8. I LOVE day planners. Blogging and real life friend Jordy Liz made me aware of one of her favorite calendars this year. I couldn’t resist and bought myself an early Christmas present. I was counting down the days to January so I could start using my Erin Condren Day Planner. I carry it with me all the time… it’s my right hand gal.
9. Smoothies. For the past 4 months I’ve been eating smoothies for breakfast at least 5 days a week. Since kicking caffeine, it’s been a nice replacement wake-up to get my day going. My personal recipe: 2 oz orange juice, about 1/2 cup of frozen berries, 1 small banana, 1/4 cup of flavored greek yogurt, 1/8 cup of fresh spinach. Blend that sucker up and enjoy.
10. Writing in my new “Getting to Know You” journal. We returned home from Youth Group one Sunday night to discover a bag hanging on our front door. Sweet friends from across town had left us this book to begin recording our new adventure: parenthood! I’m not sure why I’m choosing this format to share, but there it is. I’m in my second trimester and expecting our first child this summer. This really is my favorite realization each day! “The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy!” Psalm 126:3
So now it’s obviously your turn to share your top picks. What gets the most use in your world?